Skip to main content

Workout for September 22, 2011

As I mentioned in the previous post, I am working on a basic body weight program that will prepare me for the next phase of my training, which will be weight lifting.  The exact program I am using is called "Your Body is a Barbell" by Alwyn Cosgrove.  I follow most of the outlined program, with a few exceptions:

1. Prone jackknife - I don't see any other way to do this exercise without a bosu ball, so I have instead replaced it with decline push ups.

2. Reverse crunch - Personally, I don't care for this exercise and so I have replaced it with bicycle crunches (a.k.a. elbow-to-knee crunches).

3. Chin ups - I would love to do chin ups, but unfortunately there is nothing sturdy enough to hold my weight around my house.  I substituted door pull ups for this one, as it works virtually the same muscles (except for the substantial  decrease in bicep activation).


The "T" Push Up

Other than that, this program is solid.  The goal is to hit 15 reps or more with good form on each exercise.  The leg portion of the workout will especially fry the glutes and hamstrings.  Following the timing is critical because doing these exercises fast will use the elasticity of the muscles being worked to remove upward and downward force put on the body during the exercise (which is NOT what we want).  Also, I think many people will be unfamiliar with these exercises so it helps to "google it" and get a few examples before starting.



Single Leg RDL
Here is my log for today:

Upper body
A1. T push up @ 211 (each arm)
    1. 9
    2. 6
A2. Inverted row @ 211
    1. 9
    2. 9
B1. Door pull up @ 222
    1. 5
    2. 4
B2. Dips @ 211
    1. 7
    2. 6
B3. Decline push up @ 211
    1. 9
    2. 7
C1. Pike push up @ 222
    1. 5
    2. 4
C2. Bicycle crunch @ 111
    1. 15
    2. 15

Finisher: 2 minute round of broad jumps + sprints

Comments